Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Support Tom Emmer for Governor

I caucused for Tom Emmer for Governor. Tonight, I was at my senate district BPOU meeting, and both Mr. Emmer and Marty Seifert spoke. All I can say is that my support for Mr. Emmer is stronger now.

Don't get me wrong. Marty Seifert would be an excellent choice. Should he win the nomination, I would be proud to support him and I am confident he would be able to win in November. But he is not the best candidate in the race as far as I am concerned.

Tom Emmer tonight said something that I have been waiting for a Republican to say. He took us back to the 1994 Contract with America, when Republicans took back the U.S. House. It happened by returning to the roots of fiscal, common sense conservatism.

The problem is that within a few years, Republicans broke that contract. And tonight, Tom Emmer said that. It's Republicans fault. Not because they acted like Republicans, but because they got away from the principles that got them elected.

Republicans cannot be afraid to "blame Bush". Not the knee-jerk, mean-spirited hatred that the left has (and continues) to pour on. But an honest (and respectful) evaluation of the mistakes that were made over the 8 years.

That's what I heard from Tom Emmer tonight. You don't often hear someone try to win by criticism of their own party. But it's what is needed.

And, that is why I am even more convinced that he is the person we need to represent our party in the 2010 Governor's race.

No comments: