Friday, January 16, 2009

Welcome to the Dinner Table

Welcome to the Dinner Table.

After years of watching on the sidelines of the blogosphere, enjoying the work of some of my favorite bloggers, I decided to tip-toe in.

The name "Dinner Table" refers to a great quote by my personal hero, President Reagan, "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." We need a change in America. Now, I don't presume to think that I (through this blog) have the "solutions for America". But, it's time to discuss... and that's what I hope to write about here (The quote comes from President Reagan's Farewell Address to the Nation, January 11, 1989.)

We need a change in America. And, I am not talking about the same change as President Obama. I think that the change does not necessarily have to do with (pick your favorite issue) economic policy;immigration;earmark reform;gay marriage;abortion;war;peace;corruption;special interests;gun control;global warming;energy independence;social security reform. I think the bigger change is how we talk about it, and how we can actually effect change and solutions.

I am a conservative. I generally vote Republican. I have been active in local politics, serving as an officer in my BPOU. I have volunteered with several campaigns, most extensively for Congresswoman Michele Bachmann.

I hear lots of talk about how the "Democrats are crazy/wrong/evil", and I admit I sometimes allow myself to be whipped into that frenzy. I also hear the frustration and infighting on our side of the spectrum...RINO's, "ineffective" party leadership... and once again, I admit that I am frustrated why, despite the hard work of the grass roots, we are a court decision away from sending Al Franken to the Senate. Why elected Republicans appear to be abandoning conservative principles to attempt to hold on to what power they have left.

It's a tempting thing to blame them all. But, the last thing I want is to write another blog in which all of these sentiments are echo'd over and over. It's time to talk about positive steps.

Anyways, that's a start to what this blog is all about. I can't promise much, how often will I write? I don't know, never did it before. But hopefully, someone will find something worth talking about here. If not, oh well.